Saturday, January 5, 2013

Granola Day

      Happy Saturday! I am in the process of settling back in to my humble apartment after the lovely visit with my family.  Although I was bummed about only being home for a little over a week, I had a perfect time. I feel incredibly blessed to have a mother and two brothers who enjoy coffee as much as I do (Dad and Nate aren't keen on coffee). We drank at least 20 pots of coffee in the 10 days I spent with them, which was fabulous! The grocery store where my mom works sells the yummiest coffee! 
      I had lofty plans for my visit, most of which I succeeded in attaining, although I didn't quite accomplish everything I intended. I had coffee dates with three friends, a lunch date with another, visited the place I used to work to say hi to my old coworkers, and attended my friend Roxanne's New Year's Eve party in the new home she and her husband recently purchased. Quite a lot to squeeze into such a short time, since I wanted mostly to hang out with the fam! Most of the time I felt quite lazy, lounging around sipping coffee and watching TV with my three brothers, but it was glorious! I miss them lots already, but felt ready to come back to New York, which is a good sign that I'm finally adapting to my new place of residence! 
      Last night, I spent about two hours grocery shopping to replenish my empty fridge and pantry.  I came back with lots and lots of yummies. One of my goals for this year is to return to a healthy way of life, which includes eating mostly whole foods. I've also decided to try going vegan (I've attempted 2 times in the past and failed) but am trying vegetarian first to ease into it. All other substitutes for skim milk in my coffee have failed, so I gave coconut milk a go this morning - I actually like it! Next time I'm going to get unsweetened, though - not a huge fan of sweet coffee. I found a recipe for raw cookie dough bites, which I whipped up this afternoon, thanks to the food processor that my brother Ben gave me for Christmas! I cannot tell you how excited I was to grind up nuts in that thing! It works like a dream! I also made a batch of homemade granola - my mother will be proud. After years of eating her homemade granola, I decided I don't like the store-bought kind and would much rather make my own. I couldn't find the recipe I like this morning, so I made one up: 5 cups oats, 1/2 cup olive oil, about 1/2 cup pecans (I just dumped in the rest of an open package), 1/4 cup agave nectar, cinnamon, and salt. It's definitely not the tastiest granola I've ever made, but it will do this time. I also bought quinoa for the first time, which I cooked up to store in the fridge and add to salads and other recipes this week. I feel so adventurous and healthy! I'll keep you updated!
      As I was cooking up a storm, I began reflecting on last year. Yes I know, it's already 5 days into January, but sometimes it takes me a while to reflect on things. I realized a few things that I hadn't thought about before, which will be the topic of tomorrow's post, since today's is already getting longish! The sun is shining, which means today is a beautiful day and I have a huge smile on my face! Enjoy your Saturday, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment