Monday, December 24, 2012

Happy Christmas Eve!

                So here I am, sitting in the Newark Airport at 4:58 am, waiting for my 6 o’clock flight to Chicago. From there I will get on a 3 hour flight that will take me to … wait for it … Oklahoma! I've never been so excited to go back to Oklahoma in my entire life.  When I lived there I would drag my feet on the way back, wishing I was flying anywhere more exciting than Tulsa.  This time, I’ve been practically jumping up and down for weeks in anticipation of my trip home.  Maybe it’s because I haven’t seen my family in 4 months, the longest I’ve ever gone without seeing them.  I am immensely grateful that God is preparing me for overseas missions one small step at a time – first two months away from home, now four.  I don’t know how I would have gone from living at home to four years (or however long it’s going to be) away across an ocean – I love that God knows what He’s doing!
                Yesterday was an interesting day.  I mostly just hung around my apartment by myself, since my roomie was at home in Queens.  It took me most of the afternoon to do my laundry, which I had obviously been putting off until the last minute.  After three months of living on my own and having to pay for laundry for the first time in my life, I have discovered that I only have to do laundry every two weeks.  How great is that?!  The problem is that I never like doing it, not even after two weeks.  Lugging it up and down three flights of stairs, hanging up the non-dryables, folding, putting it all away.  Every time I’m tempted to complain, I remember people who have to haul their laundry to a Laundromat and I feel thankful that I only have to go up and down a few stairs. 

      Yesterday was not a normal laundry-doing day.  I had forgotten to set my timer so that I remembered to switch my laundry, which meant that I ended up in the laundry room thirteen minutes before the washers were finished.  While I was waiting, I found a stash of porcelain dishes on top of a “free” sign.  Now, you have to understand that I’ve been eating off of red plastic plates and out of yellow plastic bowls all semester, so the prospect of eating off of a “real” plate is actually quite thrilling.  There were four bowls and two tea cups in the same china pattern that my grandmother used to have.  I remember eating out of those dishes from the time I was little and being so sad when I realized that my grandparents moved into a retirement apartment and probably got rid of their dishes that I loved so much.  I am now the proud owner of 6 pieces of dinnerware that will take me back to my childhood every time I eat, memories of red Jell-O with chunks of fruit mixed in swirling through my head. I definitely had a huge smile on my face as I carried the stack of dishes to my apartment, washed each piece carefully, dried them, and gave them a place of honor in the cabinet above the sink.  Oh the treasures that can be found when least expected! 
                I only slept two hours before my friend Koobie and I left for the airport.  Hopefully I will sleep on the plane, especially since I brought my new zebra pillow pet (thanks, Kristi!) along.  Otherwise, it will be pure adrenaline and lots of coffee that will keep me going through this lovely day of Christmas Eve!  Merry Christmas Eve, friends! Enjoy every moment with those you love!
*Written in a Word document while at the airport and posted from Oklahoma with love J

No comments:

Post a Comment