Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Day 23: Surprises

      I have a love-hate relationship with surprises.  On one hand, it is fun to not know to expect something, like a random snowstorm or just-because flowers.  On the other hand, the part of me that likes to be in control cringes at the thought of surprises because they remind me that I am, in fact, not in control.
      I feel as if every day since I left home has contained a small surprise.  In the beginning, I hated it.  I hated not knowing what to expect, not knowing what was coming next.  Every time I would mention my frustration with the unknown to my father, he would say, "Charissa, God is not surprised by this. He's not sitting up there scratching His head trying to figure this out."  Just being honest, that didn't always make me feel better.  And then, it happened.  Today, as I was tempted to worry about something I'm currently struggling to understand, the thought came: "God is not surprised by this, so don't worry about it."  
"I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
    my soul knows it very well.
 My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
    intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
    the days that were formed for me,
    when as yet there was none of them."
Psalm 139:14-16








No comments:

Post a Comment