Monday, October 15, 2012

Day 15: Mail the Letter

      So here I was after a long day, exhausted and ready for bed with no idea what I was going to blog about. It hasn't been a particularly cheery day and I'm struggling yet again to trust God in the midst of rocky circumstances.  I popped on over to the Christian and Missionary Alliance website to read the daily devotional by the C&MA's founder, A.B. Simpson. His devotionals usually speak to exactly what I'm going through at whatever moment I happen to read them, even though I'm sure he wrote them years and year ago.  Today was no exception.  The analogy of writing a letter and not mailing it yet expecting an answer really hit home for me, especially since I have a terrible habit of writing letters and taking weeks to mail them. So, my blog for today is simply the devotional that encouraged me after a rough day. May you draw as much encouragement from the wise A.B. Simpson as I did! I have copied and pasted his devotional below. The link to the actual website it here.

Days of Heaven on Earth

Monday, October 15, 2012
True faith drops its letter in the post office box and lets it go. Distrust holds onto a corner of it and wonders why the answer never comes.
In my desk are some letters that I wrote weeks ago. But there was some slight uncertainty about the address or the contents so they are yet unmailed. As yet they have not done me or anyone else any good. They will never accomplish anything until I let them go out of my hands and trust them to the postal system.
This is the case with true faith. it hands its case over to God and then He works.
There is an appropriate verse in Psalm 37: Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he [worketh] (v. 5). But He never works until we commit.
Faith is a receiving-or still better-a taking of God's proffered gifts. We may believe and come and commit and rest, but we will not fully realize all our blessing until we begin to receive and come into the attitude of abiding and taking.

Scripture

Faith is . . . the evidence of things not seen—Hebrews 11:1

1 comment:

  1. "...we will not fully realize all our blessing until we begin to receive and come into the attitude of abiding and taking."

    There is such truth here. It's ironic that even though I read this during my "mini-crisis," when I needed it most, it wasn't until after my roommate and I talked again and reconciled that I read it with fresh eyes. Coming into "the attitude of abiding" does not happen until we let go--let go of our own insecurities, of the hurts that we for some reason live in, of the resentment we harbor towards others--and trust the truths that God has communicated--that we are children of the King with an eternal home, that by The Healer's stripes we are indeed healed, that we can forgive because we have been forgiven.

    Josh and I may be very different, but that is because we are two quite different parts of the body, adding to the whole and working toward a common purpose. This is a good thing, a gift, even, and only after I let go of my hurts will I see that He has already answered them. If we let go, we can abide in him and his promises in a way we never could before, and that is something beautiful.

    It all comes down, I suppose, to trust. For me, it is between feelings and promises. Do I ultimately trust in my feelings, which tell me that I am sad, unvalued, and misplaced effort, or do I trust in the promises and words of the Creator, who tells me by his very death that I, though having no worthiness of myself, am indeed worth the world to Him? Feelings are so easy to hold on to as something real; but our Lover and Savior's promises possess a reality that will infinitely outlast anything born of our own being.

    ReplyDelete