Friday, October 12, 2012

Day 12: Happy Weekend

      I am having a fabulous weekend.  Even though I have a 6-8 page paper due on Monday night that I haven't started writing yet.  But I've done the research.  Which is most of the paper.  I'll knock it out tomorrow just in time to have fun in the city on Sunday.  So excited!
      I couldn't really think of anything amazing to blog about today, so I thought I'd talk about the culture shock I've experienced since moving to New York.  And the way I have adapted. Or not.  
      #1: In New York, patience is not a virtue.  Especially when it comes to driving.  (And walking on the sidewalk. Which is really weird.)  By my second day in Nyack, I had taken my defensive driving to the next level.  After six weeks, I now cut people off, drive on the wrong side of the road to get around people parallel parking in the middle of the road, and turn when it is completely inappropriate.  All to avoid being honked at, of course.  And rear-ended.  Which would be completely unfortunate.  
      #2: Walmart does not exist within 30 miles of my apartment.  I never had much of an attachment to Walmart until I moved here and had a chance to miss it.  I miss being able to go to one place and get everything I need.  Plus the people who shop at Walmart are always entertaining to watch.  A new people watching spot is in order. 
      #3: People are kind of rude here.  Actually I overestimated how rude people would be, which means that sometimes I'm rude to people who are nice.  When I first got here I decided to not talk to people I didn't know because New York is a scary place.  I'm slowly getting over it, although I still don't say hi to random people in the grocery store.  Because I don't want to get mugged.
      #4: Gas is $4.19 a gallon.  Two weeks ago I crossed the border into New Jersey just to fill up my gas tank for $3.83 instead of $4.19.  Definitely new for me since I moved here from a state full of oil.  Or so they tell me. 
      #5: I haven't seen a cowboy hat or cowboy boots since I moved here.  And my friend looked at me like I was crazy when I told her I miss plaid shirts and cowboy boots.  Evidently  no one dresses like that out here.  And I've only seen three pick-up trucks.  I'm definitely not in Oklahoma anymore. 
      Well, that's it for now!  I'm sure there will be more on culture shock and adjusting to New York.  It is, after all, an adventure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment