Saturday, June 2, 2012

A New Adventure

      I have been trying to write this post for a week now and have obviously been unsuccessful until now.  There are so many thoughts spinning through my head at such a rate that they keep bumping into each other.  Probably I should have forced myself to blog earlier in the week, since now most of you already know what I'm going to be doing with the next two years of my life - which is the next step I told you about a few months ago in a post...the one I was keeping a secret from most people. 
      In August, I will be moving to Nyack, New York to attend Alliance Theological Seminary.  As most of you know, I have dreamed of a life of medical missions in Africa since I was 13.  I have spent the past ten years pursuing nursing, jumping at every opportunity to grow and learn, all the while looking forward to the day when nursing will take me to my beloved Africa.  I now have a year of experience as an emergency room nurse, an experience for which I am so thankful - I couldn't have asked for a more perfect first job.  
      This past year has been a year of preparation in every sense: professionally, financially, emotionally, spiritually.  I was frustrated on more than one occasion, tired of waiting and ready for the next step, the one that would take me closer to fulfilling my calling.  There were honestly times when I wondered if God had forgotten about me, if He was just going to leave me floundering, trying to figure out what in the world He was trying to teach me by telling me to stay in Oklahoma for now.  I'm sure you will not be surprised to hear that He has not forgotten about me, but instead opened up exactly the right doors to take me exactly where I've always wanted to be.  In the fall, I will be attending ATS to pursue a master's degree in intercultural studies.  I cannot begin to describe how excited I am to learn more about the Bible, people, and ministry.  The plan is to then go overseas with the Christian & Missionary Alliance as a full-time missionary.  
     So, that's kind of the long-term (if 2 years is long-term) plan.  Next Friday, my mom and I will pack up Dora the Explorer (she's my car) and drive to Rodney, Michigan, where I will spend the summer at Cran Hill Ranch.  Yes, I'm going to be a camp nurse!  I never had the opportunity to attend summer camp as a child, so I'm fulfilling a childhood dream!  I'm looking forward to a slower (and cooler) summer than what I'm used to.  At the end of the summer, I will pack up Dora again and drive to New York.  Talk about cross-country travel! 
      Well, that's my life for now!  Super crazy how fast everything has happened, but that's usually best for me, since I sometimes have problems making up my mind.  God seems to be pretty good at working things out in such a way that I can just go along with the plan because everything falls exactly into place at exactly the right time!  Yes, I have cried all week (and several times today) as I've said goodbye to people and started packing up my room, thinking about everyone I'm leaving behind.  I never realized how much Oklahoma truly is home until I planned on leaving.  While I feel like my heart is breaking, I am excited to discover what this summer and the next two years in New York hold for me.  Please keep me in your prayers as I embark on this new adventure!  "May every sunrise hold more promise, and every sunset hold more peace."  Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. Charissa! so excited for you and proud of you! this is such a big step, but remember that you are never alone along the way. please keep blogging! i want to read about your journey to africa!

    :)

    ReplyDelete