Thursday, October 6, 2011

31 Days of Joy: Day 6

Today is a day that I do not feel like writing about joy.  I have felt anything but joyful for the majority of the day, but, in order to stay true to my commitment, I flipped my computer open and began to search the word "joy" on BibleGateway.  The passage that stood out to me was one from John 15.  In this chapter, Jesus explains that those who remain in Him will bear much fruit; no one can bear fruit apart from the true vine.  Verses 9-12 really stood out: 

9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.

Jesus not only promises fruitfulness to those who remain in His love, but complete joy as well.  As many times as I have read the book of John, I don't think these verses have ever struck me this way before.  "I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete."  Where does this joy come from?  The joy that Jesus is talking about comes from remaining in His love, for His love is perfect.  

Sounds simple enough, right?  Remain in the perfect love of God and receive joy?  Yet time after time, I walk away from the love of God, thinking I can find joy on my own.  Why? Honestly, I think we as human beings have a hard time truly comprehending the love of God.  If we really understood the love of God, we couldn't help but to remain in Him, soaking up the joy that He freely offers.  Today, may God show us how much He truly loves us, that we may remain in His love and through that love may our joy be made complete.      

No comments:

Post a Comment