Saturday, October 29, 2011

31 Days of Joy: Day 29

Last night, I listened to a sermon by Francis Chan called "Living with Joy."  You would think that after blogging about joy for almost an entire month, I would be living a joyful life, right?  Yeah, not so much.  Pastor Chan talked about these verses from Philippians 4:


4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


I have been familiar with these verses since I was a little girl, memorizing verse 6 and saying it over and over in times of worry.  Yet I've never really considered this entire passage as a whole.  As Pastor Chan says in his sermon, "rejoice in the Lord" is a command.  It isn't optional.  As with all other commands, a promise follows, "and the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  Rejoice.  Don't be anxious.  Pray with thanksgiving, believing that God is listening.  Receive peace. 


If you have the time, I strongly encourage you to watch this video.  It really encouraged my heart and I believe it will yours, as well.  Be blessed! 



No comments:

Post a Comment