Sunday, July 24, 2011

Restless


This past week has been a busy one! Brooke's wedding was beautiful. It was a lovely weekend that included dinner at In the Raw, a sleepover bachelorette party at Embassy Suites, mani/pedis with the bride, bridesmaids, and the bride's mother, yummy steak, and a perfect wedding full of God's love and pretty colors. I am blessed to have such a wonderful friend - so happy for my dear Brooke!

I am currently trying to find ways to fill my free time (though I didn't have very much last week) with things other than the Internet. However, I discovered Pinterest a couple of weeks ago and have become obsessed with repinning photographs. Hopefully it is a phase that I will outgrow, but I am thoroughly enjoying it! I have a drawer full of t-shirts that are begging to be turned into a t-shirt quilt, so I think I may accommodate them and start sewing again. My mother will be pleased to see me give sewing another try after I convinced her to let me stop in 8th grade. I was too impatient for sewing back then, but I think I've learned a thing or two about patience since then. I will let you know how the quilt adventure turns out!

Ever since graduation, I have been feeling restless and discontent. Lately, I've been learning the importance of restlessness in the context of my relationship with the Lord - never being content with where I am in my spiritual journey, always longing to go deeper with Him. In the midst of my restlessness, God has also been showing me that I need to be content in the physical sense. I am struggling through that right now, not really sure what contentment looks like but longing for the peace that would accompany it. The sermon at church today was about putting on the shoes of the Gospel of Peace. The verse that stood out to me, one that God has always used to draw me into His peace, was Psalm 46:10: He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” I have also been reminded of the words of Paul in Philippians, that he had learned the secret of being content in all things. I stand on the truth that Paul discovered and that is no less true today: "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength (Philippians 4:13)."

I heard a song on the radio the other day that describes the current state of my spirit. It is sung by Jon Foreman, one of my all-time favorite artists. Really listen to the words: they're incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment