Thursday, March 24, 2011

Life is for Living

I am a huge fan of coffee dates. This afternoon, my lovely friend Brooke and I met for afternoon coffee to talk and "study." Needless to say, we did much more talking than studying. Oh, well. That's what friends are for! A couple of weeks ago, Brooke gave me a book called "Coffee Talk" that she found at a used book sale. Seeing her today reminded me that I have yet to blog about any of the wonderful quotes tucked in the pages of this quaint little book. Since I only started seriously reading it today, I shall start blogging through the pages a little later. I'm sure you will love it :)

Brooke and I chatted about many things over my coffee and her sweet tea, but one thing she said really struck me: "I want to enjoy every day." With graduation just around the corner, life as we know it is about to change drastically. She is getting married this summer, so her life is going to change more drastically than mine, but my life as a college student, now consumed by studying and meeting deadlines, will soon cease to exist. Don't get me wrong, I am more than ready to graduate (pretty sure I was ready four years ago). However, I still do not know exactly what my life holds after May 14th. God is teaching me to be patient, to trust Him to show me, but without realizing it, I have stopped hoping and believing that something wonderful is just around the bend. When I realized that I have no idea where I am going to work or what comes next, I gave up and sat down in defeat. I enjoy life sometimes, but for the most part it has been very easy to give into anxiety, worry, and doubt. Today, God used Brooke's simple words to snap me out of it. The only time I am guaranteed is right now. Living in the past is depressing, living in the future is futile, living in the present can be enjoyable if that's what I desire. Enjoying each day is a choice. And today is all I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment