Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Frustrations Turned to Blessings

Carly is my 1993 Nissan Sentra. She has been my reliable transportation for over a year now, in spite of a constant oil leak. However, the day after Christmas, when Carly was parked by the curb in front of my house, a white Ford F150 driven by a high schooler slid into her left rear bumper while trying to navigate the icy roads. She was still driveable, but the tail light did not work, making it technically illegal to drive her on the roads. I called the guy who hit her and we agreed that he would pay to fix Carly instead of filing with his insurance, since he is really young and his insurance would most likely sky rocket.

On New Year's Eve I went to get an estimate at a local body shop. The man who did the estimate was less than encouraging. Apparently the damage was more extensive than I had thought, considering that the estimate came to $2500. If filed with insurance, my car would be totaled and I would be left with no more than a few hundred dollars and no car. Discouraged, Mom and I climbed back into the car and headed home. Mom suggested we get a second opinion, so we stopped at a different body shop. Twenty minutes later, I walked out of that building with a huge smile on my face. The nice body shop man was willing to pop out the bumper and put in a new tail lamp for a couple hundred dollars. I can still drive Carly and the kid who hit her won't have to file with his insurance! I called the culprit and told him the good news - we settled on a sum of money and two days later we met so he could give me the cash up front.
This tale could be viewed as depressing or unfortunate or just plain annoying, but through everything that went on, except for a few moments between body shops, I never felt discouraged or overly upset. The guy who hit my car was honest enough to walk up to the house and give my brother his phone number, actually answered the phone when I called him, and handed me the money I needed to get Carly fixed with no questions asked. We found a body shop that would fix Carly enough so I may drive her legally, and there are no long-term ramifications. What did I learn through all of this? I have a Father Who cares about me enough to see over every little detail of my life. I feel extravagantly loved.

1 comment:

  1. i love this story. yay, God! keep up the chatting over coffee...

    ReplyDelete